Thursday, December 11, 2008

SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer Autohide Delay

One of the most popular pages on my blog for some reason is the Setting Auto-Recovery/AutoSave in SQL Server Management Studio post I made back in July.  I don't usually recommend that someone hack their registry manually, but in some cases it is the only way to make the changes because the tools available in the application don't allow for it.  SQL Server Management Studio is one of those applications whose configuration options in the registry are not adequately exposed in the tools or options menus.

Since that little hack was so popular, I figured I would post another one, but first the needed warnings:

DISCLAIMER:

Editing the registry is not generally recommended, and/or supported.  If you choose to do so, you are doing it at your own risk.  I am not responsible for damage caused by you editing the registry manually.

Coming once again from the MSDN Forums, this hack involves changing the speed with which the Object Explorer auto hide occurs.  A post back in October commented that the delay for the autohide was to long in SQL Server Management Studio, and wanted to know how to change the time it took to be faster.  Of course this is not documented anywhere online, so I went back to my July post, and started looking at the various registry keys that were available for Management Studio in one of my VPC's.  What I found is the following:

You can edit the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\General\AnimationSpeed

The higher the value, the faster it will close.  At Hex value 20 it is almost immediately closed.

You can disable the Animations completely by changing:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\General\Animations

and setting it to a value of 0.

If it helps you out, cool, but if you break it, don't email any scathing comments to me about editing your registry manually.  I am only going to refer you back to the Disclaimer above.

No comments:

Post a Comment